red location museum

a world class museum bridging the past towards the future

david goldblatt photographic exhibition

This is a semi permanent exhibition -  the upgraded exhibition opened on 20 November 2008

David Goldblatt’s lens has been zooming in on the South African social and political scenario for half a century - on which numerous images had been assembled into the public collections of Institutions such as the South African National Gallery (Cape Town), the Bibliothèque Nationale (Paris), the Victoria Albert Museum (London), the Museum of Modern Art (New York) and the Museum of Contemporary Art (Barcelona).
His sharp chronological and political insight can once again be observed as a primary and semi-permanent exhibition at the Red Location Museum: It depicts portraits of activists from the Port Elizabeth and Uitenhage area (now Nelson Mandel Bay) taken during 1990.

These images were originally intended for the Human Rights Trust’s magazine - “Monitor” - but were never published. It is important to note that the choice of activists captured, depended on their availability for the photography session. This exhibition can therefore not be perceived as a comprehensive reflection on the local struggle activists and leaders from that era.


Judy Chalmers was born on 16 November 1932, in Port Elizabeth (PE). From 1984 she
became the chairperson of the women’s Anti Apartheid organization - the Black Sash.
As a result of her involvement in the struggle, Judy Chalmers was arrested many times and
the security police searched her home, had her phone tapped, slashed her vehicle’s tires, etc. Her husband, Des, had his business destroyed by the Security police in 1986. Judy Chalmers’ office was arsoned in 1987. She has been serving as the African National Congress (ANC) Member of Parliament in the South African National Assembly since 1994.




Janet Cherry was born on 12 October 1961. In 1983 at the age of 22 years she moved to Port Elizabeth. A year later she joined the United Democratic Front (UDF). In 1985 Janet
established the East Cape Adult Learning Project (ECALP) and the Port Elizabeth Crisis Information Centre (PECIC). She also chaired the Port Elizabeth Branch of the End Conscription Campaign. In 1985 she was detained in Louise le Grange as well as North End Prison and again from 1986-87 and 1988.
Janet still lives in Nelson Mandela Bay and is a Lecturer at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU).


Buyiswa and Henry Fazzie

Buyiswa Fazzie

was the spouse of the late Henry Fazzie and was born on 07 July 1931 in Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape. Buyiswa was the first president of Port Elizabeth Women’s Organisation (PEWO) which she led from 1983 to 1991. PEWO was launched in 1983. When interviewed in 1985 by the International Media (The Times – Andreas Kohl Schütter) Buyiswa expressed: “We say: Enough is enough! They have taken our children, put us in chains and locked us. They cause us the terrible pain of oppression. We have no weapons yet we continue to fight. We repeat: Enough is enough!" Mrs. Fazzie was a member of the South African Parliament.

Henry Fazzie was born on 03 January 1925 in Cumakala, Stutterheim in the Eastern Cape Province and died on Saturday 13 August 2011. He was recruited into the ANC’S military wing Umkhonto-weSizwe from 1961. After 3 years of activities he got arrested and sentenced for 21 years on Robben Island. Soon after his release in 1984 he was drawn into a leadership position in the Port Elizabeth Black Civic Organisation (PEBCO). In the course of 1984 was he elected as a regional deputy president of the United Democratic Front (UDF) structure in the Eastern Cape and furthermore as an Additional National Executive Member of the National UDF. During 1985; 1986-1989 more detentions followed. Henry Fazzie also served as member of the South African Parliament. 

Nkosinathi Fihla (affectionately known as “Oom Ben”) was born in Middledrift, Eastern Cape, on 13 June 1932. In 1954 and 1961 respectively he joined the African National Congress (ANC) and the ANC’s Military Wing Umkhonto weSizwe (MK). In 1963 “Oom Ben” got arrested and sentenced to 14 years imprisonment on Robben Island, where he was appointed as Political Commissioner in 1965 and as member of the ANC’s Disciplinary Committee in 1973. In 1982 he was involved in the creation of the “People’s Organisation of Power” and detained from 1986 to 1989 under the State of Emergency. As of 1991 to 1992 Ben Fihla was elected to serve as Chairperson of the ANC’s Eastern Cape Region and served as Education Coordinator of the Eastern Cape from 1994.
From 1998 and 2003 to 2004 he served as Election Coordinator for the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro. “Oom Ben” served as Member of the South African Parliament and from March 2013 Oom Ben took up the position as Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay.


Roland Henry “Lammie” Niegaardt was born on 08 November 1964 in Gelvandale, Port Elizabeth. From the age of 10 he became politically active and participated in the bus boycotts. “Lammie” participated in various youths and student movements in the 1970’s and 1980.
His parents played a significant role in influencing him about the unjust laws and devastation of apartheid. He became an active member of the Young Christian Wo
rkers (YCW) and the Congress of South African Students (COSAS) which resulted in him becoming a leader in student organizations in the Northern Areas. Since 1981 he became an active and prominent leader and was engaged in the anti-apartheid movement.

During the formation of the United Democratic Front (UDF) he became involved in the underground structures of the African National Congress (ANC). The most daunting challenge and lasting impact were in August 1990 and “Lammie” led the entire Northern Areas Community through protest action against various Municipal laws: - specifically the rental increase and the Coloured Management Committee evictions, etc. This mobilization and protest action resulted in the South African Police responding violently, which caused a riot in especially the Korsten area.

The upheaval lasted ten days – and resulted in the death of 49 people as well as the destruction and damage of property. This event, however, under the leadership of Lammie, created an opportunity for leaders in the Northern Areas to pro-actively engage their communities and the government. Whilst serving as an ANC member on the first Transitional Local Government (TLC) he created the Northern Areas Development Trust, which is today known as Bethelsdorp Development Trust (responsible for the development of various community projects). “Lammie” was the first nominated leader from the Northern Areas to serve on the Eastern Cape Regional Executive Committee, after the unbanning of the ANC. He became responsible for establishing the various branches and developed the branch leaders into disciplined/respected members and leaders of the ANC.


 Mlungisi “Lulu” Johnson was born on 5 February 1964, in Keiskamahoek. He became involved in the Anti-apartheid struggle during 1979 when he joined the Young Christian Workers (YCW). From 1984 to 1985 Lulu was elected as President of Congress for South African Students (COSAS). In 1985 COSAS was banned with the result of Lulu being detained from November 1986 – 1989 under the State of Emergency Laws. Lulu has held numerous positions before and after democratic elections. He serves as a board member in the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund and is also a Member of the South African Parliament. 

 Alexander Daniel Jordaan or “Danny” was born on 03 September 1951. In the 1970’s he joined the South African Student Organization (SASO) and the South African Black Students Intervarsity Council (SABIC) where he served as a member of the National Council. After completing his studies at the University of Western Cape he returned to Eastern Cape and joined the United Democratic Front (UDF) and the South African Council on Sport (SACOS). He became the Vice President of SACOS in the Eastern Cape whilst serving as the President of the Eastern
Province Soccer Board (EPSB). In 1984 he became the Deputy President of South African Soccer Federation (SASF). In 1994 Danny Jordaan served as a member of Parliamentary Committee
on Trade and Industry. In 1997 he was appointed as Chief Executive of the South Africa FA and seconded in September 1998 to serve as the Chief Executive of the 2006 FIFA World Cup South Africa Bid - until August 2000. Danny Jordaan furthermore served as the Chief Executive Officer of the FIFA World Cup 2010 Organising Committee South Africa.




Mkhuseli (Khusta) Jack was born on 31 May 1957 in Humansdorp in the Eastern Cape. In his early twenties he moved to Port Elizabeth (PE) for schooling purposes and joined the Congress of South African Students (COSAS) in 1979. From 1982 to 1990 he served as President for the Port
Elizabeth Youth Congress (PEYCO); in 1983 he was involved in the formation of the United Democratic Front (UDF) and in 1985 he was the chairperson of the Port Elizabeth Consumer Boycott Committee. Mkhuseli Jack was detained from 1986 to 1989 under the State of Emergency. He currently lives in Nelson Mandela Bay and is a prominent businessman.





Nocwaka Lamani was born on 19 April 1931 in Pirie Mission, King William’s Town, Eastern Cape, In 1980 Nocwaka joined the Back to School Parents Committee and in 1984 she became a member of Port Elizabeth Women’s Organisation (PEWO) and the United Democratic Front (UDF). In the course of 1989 Nocwaka Lamani briefed ANC exiled women in Lusaka and in 1990 she became an executive member of the ANC’s women’s League. Nocwaka also served in the Older Persons Committee of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality and is the mother of Tango Lamani – the former COSAS (Congress for South African Students) and Port Elizabeth Students

Organisation (PEYCO) activist.



Nozizwe Mabizela was born in Kirkwood on 09 May 1938 in the Sunday’s River Valley. In
1976 Nozizwe Mabizela joined the Uitenhage Women’s Organization (UWO) and where she
was elected as a treasurer. During the uprisings of 1976 she was appointed as a member
of Uitenhage Parents committee. In 1983 Nozizwe joined United Democratic Front (UDF). Mabizela went into hiding after being harassed by the apartheid regime but continued as an anti-apartheid activist by assisting families with food (whose bread winners were jailed and/or in hiding). From 1998 to 1994 Mabizela managed the Advice Centre at the Urban Foundation in KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth (PE). This centre helped people with pension funds and informing them about matters pertaining to their basic human rights. Nozizwe joined the South African National Civics Organisation’s (SANCO’s) delegation to Holland for a crash course on Local Government during 1994. She nearly lost her son locally after he was attacked by the Ama-Afrika. In the same year she was elected as a PR in the Uitenhage Local Municipality and from 1995 to 1997 she served as Ward Councilor. Mabizela was later deployed to work with “Social Waste” which focuses on cleaning the townships.

Khululekile “Maxwell” Madlingozi who was affectionally known as “Max” was born on 11 October 1952 in the KwaTuku Village in Peddie. He was a trade unionist and an ANC
underground activist since the early 1970s. From 1974 to 1980 he worked at General Motors in Port Elizabeth and rose as a leader in the Trade Union Movement. “Maxwell” later became chairman of the General Motors plant. In 1981 he was detained and placed in solitary confinement and subsequently released in February 1982. A month later he was served with a banning order for five years. In 1986 the banning or
der was lifted and he went back to Delta (the then General Motors). He worked for seven months but was once again detained under the State of Emergency until September 1987. After his release he went back to Delta but resigned after a
short while. From 1988 he fully focused on the organization of the trade union movement. He worked with the South African Railway and Harbour Workers Union (SARHWU), the South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU), and the Post and Telecommunications Workers Union (POTWA). After the establishment of these structures, he joined the Eastern Cape as organizer for the South African Allied Workers’ Union (SAAWU) and became one of the founders of the National Education and Health Workers Union (NEHAWU). NEHAWU was formed out of the merger of
(SAAWU), the Health and Allied Workers Union (HAWU) and the Garment and Allied Workers Union (GAWU). “Maxwell” became organiser of NEHAWU in 1989 and subsequently became its Provincial Secretary in the Eastern Cape. From 1994 he became an ANC member of the Eastern Cape Legislature and was appointed as the Deputy Speaker for the Eastern Cape Legislature from 1996 to 1999. He served as Chairperson for the Standing Committee of Health in the Eastern Cape Legislature and sadly passed away on 28 May 2000.


Snqokwana Ernest Malgas was born on 08 August 1937 in Korsten, Port Elizabeth and later moved to Red Location in the New Brighton Township, Port Elizabeth. His life was one of massive hardship. Malgas became involved in the struggle after the 1952 riots. Police came looking for his neighbour but picked up him instead. It was the greatest mistake they could have ever have made, the six weeks inside was his introduction into political education as he listened to discussions of others in the cells with him. Malgas joined the African National Congress (ANC) by the 1950’s. In 1961 he was recruited to Umkhonto weSizwe where he met with the MK Commander Henry Fazzie in Dar es Salaam. In 1963 he was jailed on Robben Island for fourteen years. Together with Henry Fazzie they led the Port Elizabeth Black Civic Organisation (PEBCO) as early as in the 1980s. Malgas was severely tortured in 1985 and detained again in 1986- 9 under the State of Emergency. The dream for a Museum in Red Location (to reflect on the areas’ vibrant historical past) was initiated by Ernest Malgas in the early 1990’s. Malgas suffered a stroke in 1995 which left him confined to a wheelchair. He eventually passed away on 7 April 1998.



Max Mamase was born in the vicinity of Port Alfred in the Eastern Cape. He had a passion for rugby and played for the famous KwaZakhele Rugby Union (KWARU)) rugby team. After practicing as a professional nurse Max Mamase joined the Eastern Cape Institute for Democracy in South Africa (IDASA) as Regional Co-Director. Since the unbannings of the political organisations in the early 1990’s, Max served as a Branch Executive Member for the Swartkops Valley ANC Branch. In March 1992 the South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO) was Launched and Max was appointed as its National Public Secretary and Eastern Cape President. Max Mamase served twice as MEC - in the portfolios of ‘Local Government and Housing’ as well as ‘Agriculture and Land Affairs’. He also once acted as MEC for the Eastern Cape “Health Department’.


 Mzimasi Mangcotywa was born on 14 January 1960, Port Elizabeth, New Brighton, Eastern

Cape. In the late 1970’s he became politically active as a student and proceeded to occupy various leadership positions in the student and youth organizations. From 1985 he was the full
time co-coordinator for Port Elizabeth Crisis Information Centre (PECIC). He was imprisoned
in the same year under the State of Emergency laws and incarcerated again from 1987 – 1989. In 1989 he was released and placed under restriction & banning orders. Mzimasi Mangcotywa worked as Deputy Director General for Eastern Cape Department of Local Government & Traditional Affairs.



Govan Mbeki was born on 8 July 1910 in the Mpukane village in the Nqamakwe District, Southern Transkei. He completed matric at the South African Native College in 1932 (now the University of Fort Hare) in Alice where he studied for a BA. He joined the African National Congress (ANC) in 1935 and in 1936 he obtained his BA in Politics and Psychology as well as a Teaching Diploma. In 1936 he part-timed during the holidays at a newsagent in Johannesburg, and began organising workers from there, which lead to the first of his many dismissals for political reasons. In 1937 Mbeki began his teaching career in Durban, where he was infl uenced by Edgar Brookes and Don Mtimkhulu. He subsequently moved back to the Transkei as an activist and journalist in 1939. In the same year, his first book “The Transkei in the Making” was pub-
lished. Over the next fi ve years he was involved in the Transkei Voters Association, the Transkei
Organised Bodies, and the Bunga (Transkei Territorial Authorities General Council). He was also involved with peasant co-operatives, and ran a co-operative store in Idutywa. He published the Territorial M
agazine, later called “Inkundla Ya Bantu” from 1938 to 1944. In 1940 he obtained a BCOM (in Social Studies) from UNISA and became a director of “The Guardian” which was a left-wing newspaper under communist leadership. During 1943 Mbeki was involved in drafting the seminal document “African Claims” for the ANC. He was selected for a four-year term in the
Transkei Bunga. In 1955 Mbeki was involved in Ladysmith in Natal in organising the “Congress of the People” and was dismissed from his teaching post. He moved to Port Elizabeth (PE) to run the “New Age” offi ce. He became involved in implementing the Mandela Plan (M-Plan) in the PE townships and ran a political education programme. He was chairman of the ANC in the Eastern Cape, and was active in the leadership of the underground Communist Party of South Africa (CPSA). In 1956 Mbeki was elected chairperson of the ANC. He presided over the ANC conference in Johannesburg where the Africanists under the Pan African Congress (PAC) was led by Robert Sobukwe (he was opposed to the adoption of the Preamble of the Freedom Charter as well as the adoption of a new constitution openingmembership of the all races in the ANC). From 1959 to 1960 Govan Mbeki spent time in the Transkei during the “Pondoland Revolt” and extensively about it for the “New Age”. After the Sharpeville massacre, a State of Emergency was declared and the ANC was banned. Mbeki was detained under the State of Emergency for fi ve months, during which time he wrote “The Peasants Revolt”. He was released and led the ANC delegation to the conference of 16-17 December in 1960 - seeking to build unity with the PAC. Mbeki was
involved in the decision to take up the armed struggle in 1961, and established sabotage cells in Port Elizabeth. Umkhonto weSizwe launched the armed struggle on 16 December 1961. In October 1962, Mbeki left South Africa and presided over the ANC’s seminal conference in Lobatse, Botswana. The “New Age” was banned and Mbeki arrested on 11 July 1963 in Rivonia. “The Peasants Revolt” was published in 1964. On 12 June 1963, Mbeki was sentenced to life imprisonment on Robben Island with fellow Rivonia Trialists. In 1978 The University of Amsterdam conferred an honorary doctorate in Social Science on Govan Mbeki and in 1980 the ANC
conferred its highest honour namely the title of “Isitwalandwe” on Govan Mbeki. On the
5 November 1987 Mbeki was released from Robben Island and returned to PE. The First democratic elections in South Africa took place in 1994 and Mbeki was elected to the South African Senate. Mbeki was further- more elected to the National Council of Provinces in 1997 where he served until 1999. Govan Mbeki died on 30 August 2001.


Raymond Mhlaba was born in Fort Beaufort in the Eastern Cape on 12 February 1920. After leaving school in Std 8 he moved to Port Elizabeth (PE) and lived in Sidwell where he joined the Laundry Workers Union (LWU) whilst working at Nanucci’s Drycleaners. The following year he became the recruiting officer for the union. Mhlaba joined the Communist Party of South Africa (CPSA) on 1 May 1942. During the same year he joined the African National Congress (ANC) as well. Initially he was appointed as an officer for propaganda and organization of the ANC’s Youth League in the Eastern Cape. He was involved with rent protests and marches to the City Hall During 1947 Mhlaba was elected chairman of the New Brighton ANC branch, and played a key role in radicalizing the ANC in New Brighton. During 1950 “The Suppression of Communism Act” was passed which caused CPSA to operate underground; In 1952 Raymond Mhlaba led the first group of the ANC’s National Defi ance Campaign onto the New Brighton Railway Station and the first national arrests followed. Mhlaba consequently was banned under the Suppression of Communism Act. In 1953 Mhlaba joined the Cape Executive of the ANC. Within two years Mhlaba became involved in collecting demands for the Congress of the People at Kliptown, and in discussing the resulting Freedom Charter in PE. After the Sharpeville Massacre in 1960, a State of Emergency was declared and the ANC and other Freedom Movements banned.  Umkhonto weSizwe (MK) was formed in 1961 and Mhlaba left South Africa in October 1961 for China to undergo a year’s military training. The next year Mhlaba joined comrades such as Joe Modise and Wilton Mkwayi and traveled to Tanzania, Algeria, Morocco and Prague in order to lobby support for MK. Mhlaba returned on 1 July and was shortly arrested afterwards at Lilliesleaf Farm in Rivonia on 11 July 1963. Mhlaba was convicted of sabotage in 1964, despite having been in China at the time of MK’s launch in December 1961. He was sentenced to life imprisonment together with the other Rivonia Trialists. In 1982 Mhlaba and the rest of the Rivonia Trialists – excluding Govan Mbeki – were moved to Pollsmoor Prison in Cape Town. On 15 October 1989, Raymond Mhlaba and other Rivonia Trialists (excluding Nelson Mandela) were released from Robben Island. Whilst Raymond Mhlaba lived in New Brighton he took on the role of setting up CPSA units throughout the Eastern Cape. He also acted as the “nodal point” for coordinating underground activities during the transition period. In1990 Raymond Mhlaba was a member of the ANC’s Special Executive Committee which negotiated with the South African Government during the transition process which was termed the Convention for a Democratic South Africa (CODESA) which included the Groote Schuur minute of 1990. In the following year Mhlaba was elected to the ANC’s National Executive Committee at the first ANC Congress since it’s unbanning. Raymond Mhlaba was awarded with the most prestigious ANC Award – the “Isitwalandwe” in 1992. . In 1994 he was elected as the first Premier of the Eastern Cape Province. Raymond Mhlaba was appointed as South African High Commissioner in Uganda during 1997 and in 1998 he was appointed as South Africa’s Ambassador to Rwanda. Raymond Mhlaba died on 21 February 2005.


Mthiwabo Ndube was born on 16 October 1962 in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape. In 1977 he became an Executive member of the Port Elizabeth Student Council (PESCO) and was active in other student organizations as well. Mthiwabo operated in the underground movement and joined the African National Congress (ANC) in 1982 as well as the South African Communist Party (SACP) in 1985 in Lesotho. During 1995 Mthiwabo received an award for being a founder member of the National Sports Congress (NSC). He has served in several other structures which include: - 1983 to 1986 the Recording Secretary of the Eastern Cape United Democratic Front (UDF); 1984 to 1986 the Chairperson of the National Education Crisis Committee (NECC); 1984 to 1985 the Deputy Secretary of the Port Elizabeth Black Civic Organisation (PEBCO); 1984 the Secretary of the Release Nelson Mandela Committee (RNMC) in the Eastern Cape; 1985 to 1986 the Organiser of the South African Textile Workers Union (SATAWU); 1982 to 1986 a member of the South African Congress of Trade Unions (SACTU); 1989 to 1990 a Full time Coordinator for the National Education Crisis Committee (NECC); 1991 to 1993 the Deputy Secretary of the South African National Civic Association (SANCO); 1990 to 1998 the Regional Secretary of the SACP; 1998 to 2001 a Regional Executive Member of the ANC; 1999 to 2000 Member of the Municipal Police Task Team of the Port Elizabeth Municipality; and from 2000 to 2006 as an ANC Councilor for the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM).


 Wonga Nkala was born on 06 October 1962 in Langa, Uitenhage. The 1977-78 students’revolts aroused Nkala’s interests into politics. He became part of a group who conducted “direct actions” against symbols of Bantu Education. He was consequently arrested in February 1978 and locked for four days for torture and interrogation. Eventually he was released because there was no clear evidence linking him to these accusations. After his release he was also expelled from school and was deemed as “troublesome”. In 1979 Nkala went to Limekhaya High School where he was recruited into the Congress of South African Students (COSAS). In 1985 Wonga Nkala organized the students boycott locally which resulted in him being harassed by the Security Branch. When President PW Botha’s Regime came with the Tricameral Parliament they responded by resisting and launched the United Democratic Front (UDF). Between1984-85 four Uitenhage Youth Congress members together with Wonga Nkala were arrested and charged with public violence. This arose as a result of a successful campaign to expel South African Police (SAP) members and other puppets from townships. They were eventually acquitted after staying in prison for four months without bail, but two of them including Nkala were immediately re-arrested in court and detained again for fourteen days under the State of Emergency regulations. In 1987 the vigilante agent provocateur group “Ama-Afrika” together with the SAP unleashed a reign of terror in the townships - targeting specifically UDF leaders. Some of the activists were killed and their houses destroyed. Nkala and other comrades had to retreat to Port Elizabeth (PE) and other nearby towns because of harassment. Eventually Nkala was found in P E and severely assaulted before he was sent to Jeffrey’s Bay police station where he was kept in solitary confinement for nine months. From here he was transferred to St Albans Prison and incarcerated for twelve months. On his release he was given a restriction order which required him to be indoors between 06:00 to 18:00 and to report everyday at the local police station - which prohibited political activism and forbade him to leave the Uitenhage magisterial area. Nkala has recently stood as a PR candidate in the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Municipality.

Mpumelelo Odolo was born in 1955 and grew up in KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth. He attended Ebongweni Lower Primary School and Earnest Skhosana from where he subsequently completed his schooling at the KwaZakhele High School. After school he completed a project management diploma at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University. It was at KwaZakhele High School where Mpumelelo became involved in politics. As a result he was detained during the student uprising. He spent two years in detention and was released in January 1982. From here Mpumelelo joined the Port Elizabeth Youth Congress (PEYCO) where he held a position as deputy chairman. Mpumelelo Odolo moreover participated in the National Education Crisis Committee (NECC). He worked for the Education Aid Programme (EAP) which was an appendix of the NECC which focused on assisting students and the rebuilding of community schools. He subsequently worked for the Old Algoa Service Council in the Sport and Infrastructure Department from where he was eventually transferred to the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM). Mpumelelo moreover served as a director of Sport and Recreation under the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU). Mpumelelo Odolo is married to Vivian and they have four children.



Dan Dumile Qeqe (“Baas-“or “Oom Dan”) was born in 1929 at Fort Beaufort and arrived in Port Elizabeth (PE) in 1947 where he stayed with his mother’s family. He did his primary education at Fort Beaufort, Appies Dry and enrolled at Newell High School where he obtained his matric in 1951 and subsequently obtained his teachers diploma at Nxukhwebe Teacher’s College. In the same year he began teaching at Cowan High School. In 1957 – 1962 he was appointed as a principal at KwaFord Primary School. He also part timed at the Pagdan Lawyer’s Company. Dan Qeqe joined Spring Rose Rugby Football Club in the 1950’s and remained club treasurer up to his death. During the 1970’s he administered non-racial rugby and cricket in the Eastern Cape. In addition he campaigned for better living conditions and was consequently harassed and detained by the Security Branch of the South African Police. He was detained at Algoa Police Station in October 1979 under section 22 of general Law Amendment Act (due to a scuffle in a Walmer Tea Room and his house being searched). “Oom Dan” was frustrated about the inferior standard
of black people’s education and since 1964 began being involved in politics. He became a leader and an advisor in some community projects. After the Bantu Administration Board denied the KwaZakhele Rugby Union (KWARU) access to sports grounds, Dan Qeqe led the fi ght to build his own stadium. In 1975, the fi rst Black Township Stadium was built and named after him (Dan Qeqe Stadium in Zwide). He was honoured by the former president Nelson Mandela dueto being a founding member of the Port Elizabeth Black Civic Organisation (PEBCO) which initiated the consumer boycott (commencing in July 1985). As a deacon of the Edward Memorial
Congregational Church, he also helped to build two churches in the Motherwell and KwaMagxaki Townships. Dan Qeqe resigned from membership of the Port Elizabeth Joint Advisory Board (PEJAB), which he came to see as ineffective. He married Nyameka in 1954 and they had 4 children (Mpumelelo, Phumla, Belinda and Boniswa) and 5 grandchildren “Oom Dan” passed away on 20 June 2005.


Myekeni Theophilus Seyisi was born in Adelaide on 14 July 1945. He moved to Uitenhage in 1970 and worked for nine-years as a Constable (Isibonda) serving the KwaNobuhle Community where he simultaneously was active as a member of the Uitenhage Civic Movement. In 1982 he was in the executive of URECO at the time of the Uitenhage Massacre on 21 March 1985.
Myekeni Seyisi was also involved in the leadership of United Democratic Front (UDF). In January 1987 his house together with many of his comrades’ houses were destroyed by Ama-Afrika and the System. In 1987 he was arrested and detained under the State of Emergency and released in 1988 from where both he and Lukes Phillip were tasked to lead the underground structures of the UDF in the Eastern Cape Region. After the release of the UDF leadership in 1989, Seyisi was elected as Deputy Chairperson of the UDF in Eastern Cape under Comrade Edgar Ngoyi, Gugile Nkwinti, Sipho Miggels, Stone Sizani and others.


Mike Xego was born on 15 October 1955, KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth. He attended Kwa Zakhele High school and from 1976 he became involved with anti-apartheid protests. Mike was arrested and sentenced to 5 years on Robben Island where he was recruited into the African National Congress (ANC). After his release in 1982 he became a key fi gure in Port Elizabeth Youth Congress (PEYCO). More detentions and torture followed during 1985 and 1986 – 1989 respectively. At present Mike Xego runs his own Business.



Vuyisile “Tibhu” Thole was born in Uitenhage in 1929. He was one of the youngsters who joined the African National Congress (ANC) and its Youth league in Uitenhage. It was because of comrades like Thole that Uitenhage was able to take part in all the National Campaigns launched by the Liberation Movement. In 1952, during the Defiance Campaign, Thole was arrested for his participation and activity in the National Defiance Campaign (NDC). Thole was instrumental in affecting the Potato Boycott in Uitenhage. He was again arrested for his involvement in this campaign. In 1956-57 the whole country was protesting against the Bantu Education Act and “Tibhu” and his comrades made this National Campaign a reality in Uitenhage. Unfortunately he was detained and tortured for his rejection of the Bantu Education Policy. In 1961 “Tibhu” joined the Umkhonto weSizwe under the command of Wilson Khayingo. “Tibhu” through his discipline and dedication, rose in the ranks and became the High Command of the MK in Uitenhage. Here he became involved in many underground activities and acts of sabotage against the apartheid regime. He was arrested in 1963 convicted in 1964. After 22 years of imprisonment on Robben Island, “Tibhu” was released. He became the African National Congress’s (ANC’s) Branch member of Khayelitsha and served on the First Regional Executive Committee of the ANC after it was unbanned. After the formation of Government of National Unity he continued to serve in many of its community structures like the Police Forum at local and provincial levels. Vuyisile Tole died on 02 March 1998 after a sudden illness.



ANC | African National Congress
CODESA | The Convention for a Democratic South Africa
COSAS | Congress of South African Students
CPSA | Communist Party of South Africa
EAP | Education Aid Programme
ECALP | East Cape Adult Learning Project
EPSB | Eastern Province Soccer Board
KWARU | KwaZakhele Rugby Union
GAWU | Garment and Allied Workers Union
HAWU | Health and Allied Workers Union
IDASA | Institute for Democracy in South Africa
LWU | Laundry Workers Union
NDC | National Defiance Campaign
NECC | National Education Crisis Committee
NEHAWU | National Education and Health Workers Union
NMBM | Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality
NMMU | Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
NSC | National Sports Congress
PAC | Pan African National Congress
PE | Port Elizabeth
PECIC | Port Elizabeth Crisis Information Centre
PEJAB | Port Elizabeth Joint Advisory Board
PEPCO | Port Elizabeth Black Civic Organisation
PESCO | Port Elizabeth Student Council
PEWO | Port Elizabeth Women’s Organisation
PEYCO | Port Elizabeth Students Organisation
POTWA | Post and Telecommunications Workers Union
RNMC | Release Nelson Mandela Committee
SAAWU | South African Allied Workers’ Union
SABIC | South African Black Students Intervarsity Council
SACOS | South African Council on Sport
SACP | South African Communist Party
SACTU | South African Congress of Trade Unions
SAMWU | South African Municipal Workers Union
SAP | South African Police
SARHWU | South African Railway and Harbour Workers Union
SASF | South African Soccer Federation
SASO | South African Student Organization
SATAWU | South African Textile Workers Union
TLC | Transitional Local Government
UDF | United Democratic Front
YCW | Young Christian Workers
MK | Umkhonto weSizwe (Former military wing of the ANC)
UWO | Uitenhage Women’s Organization


Subscribe To My Website

  • Subscribing allows you to get site updates. Your email address will be kept private.